About us

My photo
Hi, welcome to our blog! We are newlyweds living in Memphis, TN. We love life, adventure and of course each other. We're starting a blog to keep track of any and 'all things Jacques' so we can look back and cherish memories from our first year of marriage. We'll be sharing memories, I'm sure a lot of our dog Bella, favorite recipes, books, trips, spiritual thoughts, home projects, and anything we're enjoying in life at the moment! We hope you enjoy as well. Much love, Michael and Rachel Jacques

Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

First Valentine's Day as Mr. & Mrs.

I'm a few days behind, but better late than never.

We had the absolute BEST Valentine's Day. It was our 6th together and our 1st as a married couple and I really am being honest when I say they keep getting better.

Michael sent beautiful flowers to my work. He always sends me the prettiest flowers (this is something he learned from his nanny and his mom... the women in Holiday's Flowers knew his grandmother by name). I remember when we first started dating he sent me gorgeous flowers all the time. One of my favorite memories was coming home from class in college and they were on my front porch. Oh the days... :) (Tip: Ladies, make sure your man knows how much you like flowers and you'll never go a flowerless Valentine's Day again. Reminders never hurt either!)



Here are my beautiful flowers at work on Valentine's day

I did a little preparation myself and decided to get a little creative this year. I saw this on Pinterest and figured it was simple, fun and actually something we could both enjoy together. It's a DATE JAR! The idea is that you use the date jar throughout the year (or however long it lasts) when you want to go on different, fun date... let's face it dinner and a movie is great but it also gets old after a while.

Here are the supplies you need to make the date jar:

A jar (I got mine from Hobby Lobby for $3)
Popsicle sticks (Also from Hobby Lobby for maybe $5, can't quite remember. I got the ones that came multi-colored but if you want only certain colors you can get plain ones and paint them; I am all about simplicity though so the ones already colored were the only option for me):)
Sharpie
List of dates (I googled some and came up with a lot on my own)
Fun music (optional but it makes the whole crafting experience much more fun)



STEP 1: List of dates
The first thing to do is to get your date ideas together. Like I mentioned above I came up with a bunch and then googled unique date ideas and found some that I never would have thought about, ex: recreate your first date, volunteer at a food bank, etc. The key is to make sure you include a lot of dates with different price points. I used the following as my pricing guideline: Free, $ (think $20ish tops), $$ (more expensive... maybe $40-$50), $$$ (when you have extra money, things like trips, 5 course dinners, etc. I'd say $100+), and last but not least "husbands choice". :)



STEP 2: Color code sticks or use sticks that are already color-coded to write each date idea on them.

Pretty much self explanatory. The colors should signify the price of the date. That way, when you want to splurge you can pull an expensive date color but if you're looking for something low key to do you can pull that color. Here are some of my date ideas/sticks.



STEP 3: Put the dates in the jar, and you're done!
Probably the easiest crafting you've ever done, huh? That's how I roll.

Here is the final product with a few other goodies I got Mike:



By the way, this wine pictured "h" is to die for. Pricey, but totally worth it for special occasions. I searched Memphis high and low for it and finally found it at Buster's. Give it a try for your next special occasion. You won't be sorry!

Michael loved his gifts, the date jar, wine and his temperpedic house shoes from Brookstone (we are such an old married couple, but we love it). We ended the night with dinner at Ruth Chris (amazing, we've tried the best steak houses in Memphis including Folks Folly and Flemings and nothing beats Ruth Chris in our opinion). I got the petite filet with shrimp (delicious) and Mike got the bone-in filet. We split a side of asparagus and each had wedge salads and of course, cabernet. :)



It was such an easy, laid back night. We simply enjoyed each other's company and it was lovely. Nights like these make me love him so much more. I am so blessed to have Michael as my husband.

One of the best memories from our first Valentine's Day is the fact that he literally forgot to get me card. Poor thing has been so swamped renovating our investment house that he can't keep his head on straight. After dinner when I gave him my card to him, you should have seen his face. It was priceless. In the words of my husband, "I'm not going to even try to lie... I forgot" Haha. Was I mad? no. I thought it was great. Our first Valentine's Day as a married couple and he forgot my card. Cheers to married life!

BUT don't worry, my sweet man made it an unforgettable memory and typed me up the funniest, sweetest letter. Here's the headliner.



The rest I'll have to keep to myself. It was definitely a Valentine's Day for the books. Hope you all had a great one as well!

Love,
R & M




No comments:

Post a Comment